BEIJING, June 19, 2013 (AFP) - Hong Kong can showcase its democratic pedigree by its handling of the Edward Snowden case, Chinese state media said Wednesday, in comments appearing to distance Beijing from any decision on his possible extradition. The semi-autonomous territory -- which has a separate legal system to mainland China -- has the opportunity of "proving itself a free society in ...
Hong Kong's government is investigating claims by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden that the U.S. had attacked computers in the city. Police haven't received complaints regarding the alleged hacking, Lai Tung-kwok, Hong Kong's security secretary told the Legislative Council today. Snowden, who fled to Hong Kong after leaking classified documents about U.S. ...
Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43am EDT * Indexes: HSI -1.2 pct, H-shares -1.8 pct, CSI300 -1.3 pct * Reported IPO resumption, property tax expansion hit A-shares * Defensives slide in HK as investors await Fed outcome * Mengniu spikes after $1.6 bln Yashili takeover offer By Clement Tan HONG KONG, June 19 (Reuters) - China shares tested six-month lows, sinking Hong Kong markets, as a cash squeeze in the ...
Chinese and South Korean stocks fall on caution ahead of the Federal Reserve's monetary-policy decision later in the day, while Japanese shares rally on a weaker yen and strong overnight gains on Wall ...
stocks fell amid low trading volume before the outcome of a Federal Reserve meeting, with finance and developer shares sliding. China Mengniu Dairy Co. soared after bidding for a local baby-foods maker. China Resources Land Ltd. lost 1.9 percent to lead property companies ...
33°C Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the West at 7 MPH
WR: Mysteries of the Organism (WR: Misterije organizma) [DVD]
Dusan Makavejev's infamous WR: Mysteries of the Organism (WR: Misterije organizma), a quasi-documentary that simultaneously mocks both communism and consumerism while advocating liberated sexuality as the ultimate force in the world, is fascinating ... ...
SCOTT WRIGHT InvestHK, the government agency that helps overseas firms locate in Hong Kong, set out the commercial case for the territory as a "springboard" to growth in south-east Asia at an event in Glasgow yesterday. Director-general Simon Galpin highlighted the low-tax economy, burgeoning tourism industry, demand for luxury goods, low crime rate and ease of doing business as ...
Cathay Pacific Airways released combined Cathay Pacific and Dragonair traffic figures for May 2013 that again show a year-on-year drop in the number of passengers carried and cargo and mail tonnage. Cathay Pacific and Dragonair carried a total of 2,338,703 passengers in May – a drop of 0.8% compared to the same month last year. The passenger load factor was up by 0.5 percentage points ...
Hong Kong's de facto central bank said on Tuesday that its investigation into possible benchmark rate manipulation has been extended to include HSBC and a number of other banks.The Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) announced in December that it was investigating UBS about possible misconduct relating to its submissions for the Hong Kong Interbank Offered Rate ...
Export Index at Two-Year High; Prospects Remain Challenging Hong Kong, June 19, 2013 - (ACN Newswire) - Offshore trade as a share of Hong Kong's overall commercial activity has surged from less than 19 per cent in 1988 to 65 per cent in 2012, according to the "Offshore Trade Survey," which completed recently by the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC). Results reveal how ...
(2 mins ago) Stocks in Hong Kong fell 0.18 percent at the open as dealers await the outcome of a US Federal Reserve policy meeting for an idea of its plans for its vast stimulus scheme. The benchmark Hang Seng Index fell 37.48 points to 21,188.40 in the first few minutes of ...
On the record
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Grand Hyatt Dubai
I drove up to one of Dubai's newest luxury hotels, the Grand Hyatt Dubai, with it's towers majestically standing watch ...Keep reading
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Hong Kong HeraldHong Kong Herald | Headlines Making the News in Hong Kong
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Hong Kong news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Hong Kong Herald is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Hong Kong.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Hong Kong weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Hong Kong Herald is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Michigan Republican Rep. Mike Rogers said that China's role is questionable in light of Edward Snowden's leaking NSA secret intelligence and his subsequent fleeing to Hong Kong despite its extradition treaty with US.
Defending the NSA spy programme as an essential and life saving tool in the war on terrorism, Rogers said that Snowden is a traitor and not a hero, Washington Times reports.
Rogers further slammed Snowden and said that he grabbed up the information, made preparations to flee to China and bolted there.
White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough defended the snooping programme said that it is crucial to protect the American people and there is a need to strike right balance between privacy and security.
Former Vice President Dick Cheney said that Snowden has committed crimes and his choosing Hong Kong to escape the US extradition is suspicious as no one would choose the place if interested in freedom of speech.
According to the report, Hong Kong reverted to Chinese sovereignty in 1997 but has some features of statehood, including an extradition treaty with the U.S., a pact China itself doesn't have. But Beijing has the right to veto extraditions on national security and diplomatic grounds. ...
- WA internet job ads plunge
- Currencies Dollar slips vs. yen with Fed outlook in sight
- Fed seen keeping options open on pace of bond buying
- The European currencies and yen are consolidating
- Rhode Island on track to make payment on 38 Studios bonds
- Regular use of talcum powder ups risk of ovarian cancer by 24pc
- Why women in red attract men like magnets
- Rudy accuses JD U of molesting BJP minority cell workers
- Women want younger men while dating online
- Way to prevent death of immature ovarian eggs from chemotherapy found
- Australia A squad to add players from defeated Champions Trophy team
- WICB president meets regional dignitaries
- Allow betting in cricket Vindu Dara Singh
- PCB plans strict action for disappointing Pak over bleak Champions Trophy performance
- Fawad Ahmed picked for Australia A cricket tour of Africa
- Nikkei up as softer yen boosts exporters
- Indian Shares Follow Asian Markets Lower
- Asia markets mostly down as investors await Fed meetings results
- PRECIOUS-Gold slips for 3rd day on rally in stocks Fed caution
- Asian Markets Pare Early Gains
- Angelina Jolie stunt double sues News Corp over phone hacking
- Brad Pitt reacts to Melissa Etheridges Angelina Jolie double mastectomy comments
- Kate Middleton voted top fashion icon
- Britney Spears kids to star in new music video
- Have Helen Flanagan and Scott Sinclair split again
- Couples who have premarital sex to be considered married Madras High Court
- I promise... to be true to myself and develop my beliefs Girl Guides drop religious reference but pledge to self and the Queen
- Roberts ‘to resign’ if e-mails are true
- Man stabs dad saws off own hands
- Male foetuses pleasure themselves
- Parenting and home environment can influence kids health
- Henry Cavill reveals secrets to getting Superman shape
- Turmeric produces mind-blowing recovery from dementia symptoms multiple case studies show
- Fab-4 superfoods Pomegranate curcumin green tea and broccoli help fight prostate cancer
- GMOs linked to blood cell disorders leukemia New study
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Hong Kong Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Hong Kong can showcase freedom over Snowden China media
- Hong Kong to Follow Up on Snowden’s Claims of U.S. Hacking
- China shares test fresh 6-mth lows on dashed easing hopes Hong Kong sinks
- China stocks fall with financials weighing Hong Kong Shanghai lower
- Hong Kong Stocks Drop Ahead of Fed China Mengniu Surges