BEIJING - US Vice-President Joe Biden has begun a two-day trip to China by encouraging Chinese students to challenge their government, teachers and religious leaders. Biden visited the U.S. embassy, where he surprised Chinese citizens waiting to get visitor visas processed in the embassy's consular section. He told a group applying for visas to the US that "innovation can only occur where ...
BEIJING - China has awarded its first superfast 4G telecommunications licences to three mobile phone companies. Designed to give mobile phone users faster access to the internet services, the first set of licenses were granted by the government to China Mobile, China Unicom Hong Kong and China Telecom. It is not as yet clear if any rollout conditions have been attached to the licences, or ...
Britain has struck a deal with China to export 45 million pounds worth of pig semen. The unusual pact signed by Environment Secretary Owen Paterson, who is part of the British delegation taken to China by David Cameron, will allow inseminating Chinese pigs to get healthier and more productive breeds, the Mirror reported. UK firms are looking to sell pigs trotters, which are regarded as waste ...
China Mobile has reportedly signed a deal with Apple to offer iPhone on its network, a move that would give the tech giant a big push in the world's largest mobile market. According to AllThingsD, the rollout of Apple's flagship product on China Mobile is expected to start this month by December 18. The network, one of the world's largest mobile carriers, boasts of over 700 million subscribers ...
U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has urged young Chinese students to challenge their government, teachers and religious leaders. The comments from Biden came as he opened a two-day visit to China on Wednesday. According to the Japan Times, Biden paid a visit to the U.S. Embassy, where he surprised Chinese citizens waiting to get visitor visas processed. Biden said that children in America are ...
Winds: From the SSE at 6 MPH
12 Angry Men [Blu-Ray]
Between 1955 and 1962, more than half a dozen episodes of various television anthology dramas were adapted to the big screen, which represented one of the American film industrys first concerted efforts in the postwar period to create art films in the European mold. The first of these fi ... ...
Hong Kong HeraldHong Kong Herald | Headlines Making the News in Hong Kong
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Hong Kong news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Hong Kong Herald is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Hong Kong.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Hong Kong weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Hong Kong Herald is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Beijing, Dec 5 (Prensa Latina) China has urged the United States to respect the establishment of the East China Sea Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) with an objective and fair attitude. According to ...
On November 13, an awards ceremony was held at Shanghai Maritime University(SMU), where 36 students were recognized for their academic excellence andfine demeanor and encouraged to develop themselves into sociallyresponsible and intelligent young Chinese filled with an internationalvision. Those in attendance included Keizo Nagai, NYK corporate officer andchief representative for China, and Jin ...
Copenhagen/Shanghai - Danish brewer Carlsberg upped its stake in China's Chongqing Brewery to 60 percent, strengthening its foothold in the world's largest beer market by volume, and hopes to further increase its holding, the latter ...
Beijing/Kiev - Wang Jing, a little known Chinese investor who has a concession to build a waterway in Nicaragua to rival the Panama Canal, announced he was also spearheading a $3 billion project to build a deepwater port in ...
A Joint Fact Sheet on Strengthening US-China Economic Relations was issued on Thursday. The full text is as follows:Joint Fact Sheet on Strengthening US-China Economic RelationsBuilding on President Barack Obama and President Xi Jinping's shared commitment to building a new model of major country relations, both countries affirm their commitment to practical cooperation for the benefit of ...
Li Keqiang met with USVice President Joe Biden on Thursday and said he looks forward to a higher level of economic cooperation between the two countries.China and the United States should make a breakthrough regarding the bilateral investment treaty (BIT) and cooperate more extensively and on a higher level to open a new chapter for bilateral economic cooperation, Li said during the meeting with ...
China is estimated to have added 10 gigawatts (GW) of installed photovoltaic (PV) power capacity in 2013, including 7 GW from PV power stations and 3 GW from distributed PV power projects, an energy official told Xinhua on Thursday.Liang Zhipeng, an official with the National Energy Administration (NEA), said China would unveil its 2014 target for solar PV installed capacity this month, and that ...
China 's quota system for films means that only 34 foreign movies a year are allowed, but the deal means that co-productions between British and Chinese producers can sidestep the quota. "People have started calling it Chollywood, but really it's Chinewood - British films linking up with Chinese partners to access the second highest box office audience in the world," Cameron ...
An admirer jumps off the tank owned by a rich man surnamed Chen, parked by the roadside in Taizhou, Zhejiang Province on Wednesday. Photo: CFP A wealthy man in Taizhou, East China's Zhejiang Province, who is said to boast his own Chinese army tank, reportedly plans to join a cross-country race by driving the seven-meter-long by two-meter-high vehicle.The tank was seen at a wasteland by the ...
China's financial and payment institutions should not accept Bitcoin as legal tender, Chinese authorities said on Thursday, warning of the risks related to the digital currency.Within one hour following the warning, per Bitcoin price plunged by as much as 35 percent at BTC China, the main Bitcoin trading platform in the country.The warning was issued in a notice jointly released by the ...
On the record
When it comes to Iran's nuclear weapons program, the only difference between them is this: Ahmadinejad was a wolf in wolf's clothing, Rouhani is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a wolf who thinks he can pull the wool over the eyes of the international community.
The chief lobbyist for the National Retail Federation was speaking about talks to end the U.S. government shutdown.
How well is the U.S. Congress performing in its efforts to re-open the U.S. government?
News ReleasesThe Hong Kong Herald.com News Release Publishing Service provides a medium for circulating your organization's news.
Crowne Plaza, Los Angeles International Airport
I needed a hotel overnight near LAX and decided on the Crowne Plaza, a 4 star recently-renovated business class hotel ...Keep reading
Bruce Lee's yellow jumpsuit is set to fetch 250,000 to 300,000 HK dollars at an auction in Hong Kong.
Lee wore the suit, with black stripes running down the sides for the movie 'Game of Death' but died before the movie was finished.
The suit is part of a 14 items collection, which includes clothing and props, News.com.au reported.
According to Spink auction house, the martial arts legend had given the items to his friend and former student Taky Kimura, who sold them to the collector.
Spink said that the unidentified collector decided to sell the items this year, which marks the 40th anniversary of Lee's death. (ANI)
Top China News from Yesterday
- ECB keeps interest rate at record low amid fragile recovery
- Britain updates rules banning 3D-printer guns
- Online game teaches risks of personal data exposure
- US factory orders drop 0.9 percent in October on fewer orders for aircrafts and computers
- Market Snapshot U.S. stocks slip on pace for 5th straight down day
- San Francisco Bay Area businesswomen to visit India
- New match-making site finds men who pay for womens food on dates
- Topless US woman runs after Peeping Tom who secretly films her trying on bras
- Reasons why women seek extramarital affairs revealed
- New studies aim to improve womens sex lives after menopause
- Ex-Black Caps confirm ICC match fixing probe
- NZC refuses to name cricketers under ICC investigation for corruption charges
- Mervyn Gregory Hughess handlebar moustache voted favourite Aussie cricket mo
- Cricket Australia apologises for racist Monty Panesar tweet
- Fletcher says Indian team arriving in SA with no mental scars
- Telecom profit taking prompts mainland stock exchange decline
- Oil prices mixed amid Middle East oversupply concerns
- Reforms will have positive impact on markets insider
- Local vote to test Venezuelan presidents strength
- Chinese stocks retreat on 4G news
- Topless US woman runs after Peeping Tom who secretly films her trying on bras
- Idris Elba more selective about roles after Nelson Mandela flick
- Bruce Jenner lands small role in spoof film
- Salman Khan hit-and-run case Mumbai court orders fresh trial
- Gal Gadot set to star as Wonder Woman in Batman-Superman flick
- Tippy the Fainting Squirrel an online superstar
- Bad Sex Award 2013 Orgy in the face of nuclear threat Strange News
- CIOs Say Cost Complexity Impede True Mobile Gains in Enterprise
- Curious about the much discussed PISA exam Try the test for yourself
- Canadian lotto officials track down $50M winner
- Gwyneth Paltrow to host fitness web series with trainer Tracy Anderson
- Qantas to cut 1000 jobs deducts CEOs salary
- U.S. teacher fatally shot while jogging in Benghazi
- Rebuilding the Ravens offensive line is an exercise in patience
- Grant to boost exercise in McDowell schools
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Hong Kong Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- CE meets Belgian Queen
- Rio replaces Hong Kong on revised Formula E calendar
- Hong Kong Private Equity Finance Association Calls for Actions to drive the Transformation of Hong Kong into an Asset ...
- Hong Kongs largest prostitution website paralysed Police
- No barriers in reform document