An explosion at an unlicensed firecracker workshop in central China killed three people and left three others injured Sunday, officials said. The blast occurred around 9.50 a.m. in Yangzhai village in Henan province, Xinhua reported. Police suspect it was caused by illegally stored gunpowder. The workshop owner's wife and daughter and a neighbour were killed. The three injured include the ...
A group of protesters, including Tibetans in exile, demonstrated against the Chinese premier, Li Keqiang's visit to india amid border tensions between both the countries. "India needs to toughen its stand on intrusion by China. They should demand China to demarcate the international boundary first and only then proceed with further dialogue and let their leaders visit India," said Kansal, a ...
Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrived here today on a three-day state visit. He was received by Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahmed and senior ministry officials including Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai. Li is accompanied by a high level delegation. The Chinese premier will have a restricted meeting with his Indian counterpart Dr Manmohan Singh this evening. External Affairs ...
World and Olympic champion Kirani James powered to victory against his main rivals from London 2012 Olympics in the 400 metres at Shanghai's Diamond League meet. The Grenadian quarter miler raced ahead on the final bend to edge 2008 Olympic champion, the USA's Lashawn Merritt, into second place Saturday, reports Xinhua. Luguelin Santos of the Dominican Republic, the silver medallist from last ...
4G services, which provide mobile users with internet access up to 50 times faster than the current 3G network, will be launched in Shanghai next month when the China Mobile company begins large-scale trials. The fourth generation of mobile phone mobile communication technology standards orm 4G provides users with high-speed internet access on devices such as phones, data cards and MiFi ...
29°C Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the WSW at 7 MPH
A remake of the 2005 French film Anthony Zimmer, The Tourist is the Hollywood debut of German filmmaker Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, who won an Oscar three years ago for his tense Cold War thriller The Lives of Others (2006). Given von Donnersmarcks obvious talent b ... ...
Russian pole vault queen Yelena Isinbayeva won her first competition of the season by jumping 4.70 metres at the Diamond League meeting here. The 30-year-old skipped the winter season after a tough Olympic year in which she won bronze, and is using the event in China to prepare for the Moscow World Athletics Championships in August. The Russian posted the winning height - well below her world ...
Only weeks after Chinese President Xi Jinping had a much-publicized meeting with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Durban on the sidelines of a BRICS summit, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang reached New Delhi Sunday on the first leg of his maiden tour abroad. Such a short time interval in top-level contacts between the two Asian giants gives the impression the Chinese dragon and the Indian ...
A Chinese man has been sentenced to life in prison for raping and killing a woman 15 years ago. The now 44-year-old convict, Liu Jiasuo, raped the woman in a forest near a railway station in Anhui province, the Shanghai Daily reported. He was found guilty based on DNA evidence. The convict followed the woman on the midnight of July 13, 1998. He tried to strike up a conversation but was ...
Indian shuttlers were thrashed 0-5 by their Chinese counterparts on the first day of the Sudirman Cup here at the Putra Stadium Sunday. India lost their Group A matches in all the five categories of the biennial world mixed team badminton championships, winning only one game out of 11. In the first match, Tarun Kona and Ashwini Ponnappa expectedly lost their mixed doubles tie against World ...
Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrived here Sunday on a three-day state visit, his first overseas trip after assuming office in March, during which he will hold talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on a string of issues including the recent border row. Li, who touched down late Sunday afternoon, was received by Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed at Palam airport's Air Force ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Canada
A grand traditional hotel, in the heart of downtown Vancouver. The hotel is one of three Fairmonts in this Canadian-gateway ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Hong Kong HeraldHong Kong Herald | Headlines Making the News in Hong Kong
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Hong Kong news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Hong Kong Herald is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Hong Kong.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Hong Kong weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Hong Kong Herald is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Annie Au of Hong Kong won the 17th Women's Individual Asian Squash Championship by defeating Malaysian star Low Wee Wern here.
Top seed and World No.6 Wern was shocked by Annie, who is ranked No.10. It was Annie's first trip to Pakistan and she was very happy and excited by winning the title, reports Xinhua.
"I really enjoyed while staying here as the people are very hospitable and I am taking back many good memories. Before coming to Pakistan my family was very worried but now the event is over and nothing happened; all is safe," the 24-year-old said Sunday.
In the crowded Mashaf Squash Complex, Annie lost her first set at the hands of an aggressive Wern by a big margin of 5-11.
Annie's attacking and tricky shots were appreciated all-around the hall as she outclassed the Malaysian in consecutive three sets by 11-8, 11-7, 11-1 in 44 minutes to clinch the title.
Talking about the final match and difficulties she faced to reach the title, Annie said, "I concentrated a lot at the game today because we both knew the game plan and style of each other as we have faced each other many times before. It was really a tough match but after the first set I didn't give her any chance to attack me."
- Apples Cook vs. Samsungs Kun-hee
- Exclusive - South Africas NUM seeks 15-60 percent wage rises from gold coal producers
- Analysis Frontier Markets booming but risks mounting
- German minister calls EU move on China solar grave mistake
- Google boss defends British tax affairs
- Delhi runs for safety of women
- Berlusconis bunga bunga parties featured nuns and nurses but no sex
- Protests halt debate over eliminating violence against women in Afghan parliament
- Women likelier than men to blame their partner during arguments
- Afghan Lawmakers Block Womens Rights Law
- Gold prices slump for seventh straight day
- Gold tarnished as Fed discusses end of easing
- Markets extend bullish run
- Zhengzhou exchange may delay thermal coal futures
- Lock-up shares worth 22.79 bln yuan eligible for trade
- Playing Bond villain Jaws changed Richard Kiels life
- Nicole Kidman to play Grace Kelly in new biopic
- Lohan avoiding Mueller in rehab
- Sheen Muellers children better off with Richards
- Russia reviews adoption law over French gay marriage
- Bikini Teacher Vs. Homer Simpson Root The Weird News Top 10
- Germans blame euro zone crisis for Eurovision debacle
- Proposed New Toothbrush Could Secrete Caffeine During Brushing Process
- It’s a great feeling to fly to twist to rotate
- A comedic performance true to Neil Simons vision
- The Hangover actor engaged
- HIIT training produces bigger payoff with less exercise time
- Yoga instructor Tara Stiles launches Reebok apparel line
- Adam Kokesh violently dragged from public protest by police arrested for resisting arrest
- Yoga Can Help Lower Blood Pressure
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Hong Kong Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Horse Racing Hong Kong horses score double win at SIA Cup
- Military Attack wins Singapore Airlines Cup to make it Hong Kongs night
- Hong Kong dolphins at risk from pollution
- Horse racing-Hong Kong horses steal the show in Singapore
- Hong Kong City Guide Where to Eat Play and Stay