LONDON - China's largest premier commercial property and entertainment conglomerate, Dalian Wanda Group Wednesday entered into 320million pounds definite acquisition deal with leading British yacht company, Sunseeker International Ltd, under which Wanda will acquire a majority shareholding of 91.81% in pre-eminent luxury motor yacht manufacturer. Under the agreement, the remaining 8.19% ...
A female Chinese astronaut Thursday said from space that she and her crewmates haven't seen any UFOs during the trip. Female astronaut Wang Yaping, one of the three crew members of Shenzhou-10 spacecraft, greeted about 330 primary and middle school students at a Beijing high school through a live video feed system, about 340 km above the Earth, reported Xinhua. "Through the front windows, we ...
Beijing, June 19 (Xinhua-ANI): A new judicial explanation took effect on Wednesday guaranteeing the enforcement of environment-related laws and regulations, which has long been lax and superficial in China. The country's Supreme Court and procuratorate jointly issued the new judicial explanation on Tuesday that imposes harsher punishments on polluters. In the most serious cases the death ...
The first summit between President Xi Jingping and his US counterpart Barack Obama held earlier this month proved very successful, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Wednesday. During a telephonic conversation Wednesday with US Secretary of State John Kerry, the Chinese foreign minister also said that President Xi and Obama during the summit in California agreed to build a new model of ...
A series of blasts ripped through a restaurant in China's Shanxi province Wednesday night, killing one person and injuring over 150 others, officials said. The incident took place in a two-storey building housing the restaurant in Shuozhou city, Xinhua reported. Among the 156 injured, dozens are fire fighters who were at the scene when the final blast occurred. Three fire-fighting trucks were ...
33°C Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the WNW at 5 MPH
The English Patient
"The English Patient" is a is a huge, brooding expanse of a film that intricately tangles love and tragedy and passion and anger and violence and war into one giant collage that sometimes threatens to engulf the viewer with all its complexities. Yet, the true irony is that, after leaving the theater, I felt like there wasn't as much to the film as I had felt there was while watching it. The story ... ...
China and North Korea Wednesday held a "strategic dialogue" on denuclearisation on the Korean Peninsula. Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Yesui met his North Korean counterpart Kim Kye Gwan, and told him that it was in the interest of all parties concerned to realise denuclearisation on the peninsula, safeguard its peace and stability and resolve all relevant issues through dialogue and ...
After sending Taufik Hidayat into retirement, India's B. Sai Praneeth caused another big upset by defeating second seed Yun Hu of Hong Kong in the men's singles first round of the Singapore Open Super Series here Wednesday. The 20-year-old Sai, ranked 61 in the world, thrashed World No.4 Hu 21-9, 21-10 in exactly half an hour at the Singapore Indoor Stadium to level his head-to-head to ...
More than 8,200 people have been arrested in China since a crackdown on food safety crimes was launched in January, authorities said Wednesday. The ministry of public security said police uncovered more than 4,500 cases involving food safety offences and closed about 6,300 workshops and markets that produced or sold illegal food products. Police confiscated more than 150,000 illegal products, ...
Second seed Li Na of China defeated French woman Alize Cornet 6-2, 6-4 to reach the second round of the Aegon International here. Li, French Open champion two years ago but beaten in the second round at Roland Garros earlier this month, will next take on former champion Marion Bartoli of France, reports Xinhua. Fifth seed Caroline Wozniacki, the former World No.1, led Tamira Paszek 6-2, 2-2 ...
China and Vietnam have agreed to set up an emergency hotline to help quickly resolve territorial disputes that have occasionally strained relations between the two ...
On the record
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Expectations were high for this top of the line Hyatt product in "The Big Easy". The taxi rolled up to ...Keep reading
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Hong Kong HeraldHong Kong Herald | Headlines Making the News in Hong Kong
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Hong Kong news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Hong Kong Herald is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Hong Kong.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Hong Kong weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Hong Kong Herald is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
After sending Taufik Hidayat into retirement, India's B. Sai Praneeth caused another big upset by defeating second seed Yun Hu of Hong Kong in the men's singles first round of the Singapore Open Super Series here Wednesday.
The 20-year-old Sai, ranked 61 in the world, thrashed World No.4 Hu 21-9, 21-10 in exactly half an hour at the Singapore Indoor Stadium to level his head-to-head to 1-all.
Women's singles second seed Saina Nehwal also advanced to the second round by beating localite Juan Gu 21-14, 23-21 in 40 minutes. This was the fifth time the Hyderabadi beat Juan out of six meetings. The World No.2 will next face Japanese Eriko Hirose in the second round.
In the mixed doubles, Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan beat Thai pair Songphon Anugritayawon and Kunchala Voravichitchaikul 21-17, 19-21, 21-12 in 45 minutes. Thugh Aparna won in mixed, it was disappointment for her in women's doubles losing, with partner N. Siki Reddy, to Malaysia's Meng Yean Lee and Yin Loo Lim 21-18, 18-21, 6-21 in 49 minutes.
Ace shuttler Ashwini Ponnappa with Pradnya Gadre was also beaten in women's doubles by Indonesia's Nitya Krishinda Maheswari and Greysia Polii 18-21, 23-21, 16-21 in 53 minutes.
Ashwini also her lost mixed doubles match partnership Tarun Kona. ...
- Euro zone business slump eases but second-quarter contraction likely - PMI
- Airbus pieces together air show order finale
- Indias rupee hits new low against dollar stocks down
- $A dealt a triple blow this week
- German PMI surveys point to stagnation in second quarter
- New app lets women rate exes
- Losing weight boosts memory in older women
- Christian women forced to parade naked in Pakistan
- Women in Kolkata demand death penalty for rapists
- US women in all combat units by 2016 Pentagon
- Injury-marred Cummins ready to return to competitive cricket
- PCB considering performance based pay for Pak players after disastrous CT campaign
- Disappointed Kirsten says Proteas deserves choker tag after CT crash-out
- Offended Welsh cricketers walk-off from village match after speak English order
- Channel Nine wants greater say in Oz team selection despite CA stance
- China stocks tumble as manufacturing activity falls to nine-month low
- Asian markets get hammered
- Hang Seng Shanghai take a hit
- Nikkei skids as weak China data Fed exit plans chill sentiment
- RPT-WRAPUP 1-Asian markets hammered on China fears Fed exit plan
- MJ pestered Russell Crowe with prank calls
- Rose thanks shrink for inspiring US Open win with Star Wars movie
- When Kunis spurned Brands advances
- The Sopranos actor James Gandolfini dead
- Will Johnny Depp retire after 60
- Females prefer biological fitness than other traits in potential mates
- Media credibility in collapse Less than one-fourth of Americans trust newspapers
- This is America now Eighth grader facing a year in prison for wearing gun rights T-shirt to school
- U.S. doctors are dumping all health insurance and charging patients LESS
- Top childrens vitamin brand chock-full of GMOs aspartame and other deadly ingredients
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Hong Kong Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Shuttler Sai Praneeth upsets second seed in Singapore
- Hong Kong authorities investigate Snowden’s claims on U.S. cyber attacks
- Langham Hospitality Group Offers Meeting Planners Double The Extra Mile For Third Consecutive Year
- Hong Kong national killed in train-car accident in Kota Kinabalu
- Views sought on Kai Tak design contest