The Australian Broadcasting Corporation and its managing director Mark Scott are caught in a perfect storm. Critics variously driven by ideology, commercial interests or a combination have found in the ABC's decision to partner with Guardian Australia to publish the Indonesia spy story a big opportunity for the broader attack on the public broadcaster that is their recurring ...
LONDON - Only 1 percent of the files leaked by Edward Snowden have been published by the London-based newspaper The Guardian, according to the paper's editor. Speaking before Members of Parliament on the Home Affairs Select Committee, Alan Rusbridger also said that accusations that reporting on the information leaked by Snowden had endangered national security were "very vague and not rooted ...
Prime Minister Tony Abbott and Education Minister Christopher Pyne have betrayed the trust of the Australian electorate, The Sydney Morning Herald said in an editorial on Tuesday. The daily newspaper was taking aim at the duo over their handling of educational reforms, or schools funding, put in place by the previous government. The Herald said Abbott and Pyne had betrayed the Australian ...
NAIROBI -- Kenyan media representatives are working on a deal to introduce more changes to a controversial media bill. The negotiations come a day after journalists took to the streets to protest the new legislation. About 400 journalists protested Tuesday in Nairobi against a proposed media bill backed by President Uhuru Kenyatta and many lawmakers. Critics of the bill, which is aimed at ...
By Jonathan CableLONDON (Reuters) - The euro will reverse its recent upward trend in the coming year as the continued dovish stance of the European Central Bank contrasts with the U.S. Federal Reserve coming close to reining in its stimulus programme, a Reuters poll found.The ECB surprised markets last month when it unexpectedly cut its key interest rate to a record low of 0.25 percent. While it ...
Winds: From the ESE at 8 MPH
It's Kind of a Funny Story
The title of Its Kind of a Funny Story is unfortunately indicative of the film itself, which is kind of funny, kind of touching, kind of moving, kind of odd, kind of quirky, and kind of lots of other thing, but, its never fully anything. Set in an adult psyc ... ...
Hong Kong HeraldHong Kong Herald | Headlines Making the News in Hong Kong
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Hong Kong news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Hong Kong Herald is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Hong Kong.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Hong Kong weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Hong Kong Herald is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
: A 14-year-old boy's decision to share his "wealth" in the form of a mountain of books has become his grandfather's legacy to the public. Amir Danial Ridzuan's family donated a whole library which had been beqeathed to him by his grandfather, veteran journalist Zainon Ahmad ...
A group of conservative Republicans from across the state is slated to meet with Donald Trump at his Manhattan office today in an effort to persuade the developer/television personality to challenge Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo next November.Political operative Michael R. Caputo, who served as spokesman for 2010 GOP nominee Carl P. Paladino, said Trump agreed to meet at his Manhattan office with him and ...
Managing editor James Harding told staff that BBC News will assemble a NewsLabs team to establish 'new formats' for telling and sharing ...
Jordanian journalist Baker Atyani. AP FILE PHOTO ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines--Jordanian journalist Baker Atyani was released by his Abu Sayyaf abductors in Patikul, Sulu, Wednesday morning, after 18 months in captivity, the military said in a belated report. Brig. Gen, Jose Johriel Cenabre, commander of Joint Task Force Sulu, confirmed the release of Atyani in the village of Igasan in Patikul ...
MANILA, Philippines - Militants in the southern Philippines have released veteran Jordanian TV journalist Baker Atyani, who had been held captive for a year and a half, officials said Wednesday. Atyani and his two Filipino crewmen were kidnapped in June 2012 by Abu Sayyaf militants whom they had sought to interview in the jungles of Sulu province. His two companions were freed last February, ...
By Wilson Uwujaren The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arraigned Fisayo Ajibola before Justice O.A Ipaye of a Lagos High Court,Ikeja, on an 8-count charge bordering on possession of fraudulent documents and obtaining money by false pretence. The accused person allegedly conned one Audun Gerhardsen via Western Union by falsely representing to him that he was a white lady, ...
Democratic schools Superintendent Glenda Ritz and other members of the Indiana State Board of Education are meeting with a mediator called in to help with the state's ongoing education battles. The ...
Manama: Dec. 4 -- (BNA)-- The Economic Development Board (EDB) is hosting this week a delegation of 10business, finance, and economic journalists from China, Malaysia and the GCC countries at the World Islamic Banking Conference (WIBC). The conference, which is celebrating its 20th year, is the preeminent Islamic finance gathering and is expected to attract more than 1,300 delegates from over 50 ...
Dec 4 (Reuters) - The following are the top stories from selected Canadian newspapers. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.THE GLOBE AND MAIL* Conservative senators are blocking Liberal efforts to hear the testimony of an auditor, a partner at Deloitte, who is alleged to have intervened in a review of Senator Mike Duffy's expenses at the behest of ...
Libya: Ongoing String of Killing Journalists and Media Professionals in Libya, ANHRI Condemns the Murder of "Tripoli Fm" Owner By Unknown ...
On the record
When it comes to Iran's nuclear weapons program, the only difference between them is this: Ahmadinejad was a wolf in wolf's clothing, Rouhani is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a wolf who thinks he can pull the wool over the eyes of the international community.
The chief lobbyist for the National Retail Federation was speaking about talks to end the U.S. government shutdown.
How well is the U.S. Congress performing in its efforts to re-open the U.S. government?
News ReleasesThe Hong Kong Herald.com News Release Publishing Service provides a medium for circulating your organization's news.
New York Marriott Financial Center Hotel
I arrived by taxi to the hotel which is just a block from the former World Trade Center site. The ...Keep reading
Bruce Lee's yellow jumpsuit is set to fetch 250,000 to 300,000 HK dollars at an auction in Hong Kong.
Lee wore the suit, with black stripes running down the sides for the movie 'Game of Death' but died before the movie was finished.
The suit is part of a 14 items collection, which includes clothing and props, News.com.au reported.
According to Spink auction house, the martial arts legend had given the items to his friend and former student Taky Kimura, who sold them to the collector.
Spink said that the unidentified collector decided to sell the items this year, which marks the 40th anniversary of Lee's death. (ANI)
Top Journalism News from Yesterday
- Euros recent strength to reverse as ECB stays dovish - Reuters poll
- Vodafone to invest $3 billion in Indian networks over next two years
- Telecom Italia rebel investor says to fight past December meeting
- Spotify fights critics with royalty revelations
- Bank of America Citigroup faulted over mortgage servicing
- Women find sexually explicit ads unappealing unless products are priced high
- Now smart bra that can detect stress
- Oxford womens rugby team strips naked for charity
- Divorcing Women Dont Forget To Update These Key Documents
- Republican Congresswoman Immigration Reform Is A Women’s Issue
- Bollinger Coulter-Nile named as standby Oz bowlers for third Ashes Test in Perth
- How Darren Lehmann became known as Boof
- BCCI lowers base price for team sponsorship
- Ind vs Pak M S Dhonis valiant ton go...
- West Indies tri-series West Indies tri-series Dessert after main course
- China rejects US corn shipments over GMO amid domestic surplus
- Stock exchanges buoyed by news of more trade zones
- Shares boosted by national urbanization plan
- PRECIOUS-Gold edges above 5-month low focus remains on US data
- Jpmorgan Chase Settles Japanese Yen Libor Matter With The European Commission
- Original Han Solo blaster from The Empire Strikes Back up for auction
- US theatre shows porn to kids instead of screening Disney movie
- Tom Daley dating Hollywood screenwriter Dustin Lance Black
- Brad Pitt splashes out 2mln pounds on vintage Spitfire fighter craft
- Orlando Bloom gets close to Evangeline Lilly at Hobbit 2 premiere
- Cops Man stabbed by brother over silverware
- New twist in plebgate row as police officer to sue former chief whip Andrew Mitchell for libel
- Three great tax stories and an in-depth look at the $10 million twist tie business
- Bizarre microbes discovered in desert cave in Arizona
- LifeWays True Love Waits Movement to Launch New Updated Sexual Purity Campaign
- Delhi assembly polls People will remove the corrupt says Kejriwal
- Ex-president Kalam casts his vote in Delhi polls
- Exercise can help dementia patients improve thinking abilities
- Why exercise is better than drinking coffee at work
- Barca handed Jordi Alba fitness boost
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Hong Kong Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- H7N9 Bird Flu Infects First Human In Hong Kong Alerts Raised
- Hong Kong government opens debate on full democracy
- CS urges reform consensus
- Hong Kong Real Estate Prices Rents Poised To Fall In 2014 Colliers Says
- CS launches electoral consultation