After sending Taufik Hidayat into retirement, India's B. Sai Praneeth caused another big upset by defeating second seed Yun Hu of Hong Kong in the men's singles first round of the Singapore Open Super Series here Wednesday. The 20-year-old Sai, ranked 61 in the world, thrashed World No.4 Hu 21-9, 21-10 in exactly half an hour at the Singapore Indoor Stadium to level his head-to-head to ...
WITH four daily nonstop Cathay Pacific flights to Hong Kong from Kuala Lumpur, it is easy to get to Hong Kong and explore it at leisure. We uncover some of Hong Kong's best kept secrets from the eyes (and ears) of Cathay Pacific Airways country manager for Malaysia and Brunei, Melody Keung. Q. In the midst of a concrete jungle, where is the best place to go for outdoor activities on ...
LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- China's manufacturing sector has slowed further in June, according to HSBC's preliminary results from its monthly survey, released Thursday. The "flash" version of HSBC manufacturing Purchasing Managers' Index fell to a nine-month low of ...
(34 mins ago) Stocks in Hong Kong tumbled 1.52 percent at the open after the US Federal Reserve signalled it would likely begin curbing its huge bond-buying programme later this year. The benchmark Hang Seng Index fell 318.09 points to 20,668.80 in the first few minutes of ...
A historic Hong Kong hotel business is poised to make its first move into London after agreeing to spend 132.5m on a half-share of a new site near Hyde Park ...
31°C Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the West at 7 MPH
In "Mumford," writer/director Lawrence Kasdan puts on his display his greatest asset: his ability to create vivid, eccentric, and utterly likable characters. ...
Security at Next Media in Tseung Kwan O has been stepped up after the Kowloon home of its chairman, Jimmy Lai Chee- ying, was attacked in the early hours of ...
The Hong Kong tourism market has recovered after a brief decline due to the financial downturn in 2009, with international arrivals to the country registering healthy growth between 2008 and 2012. Hong Kong has a modern and well-developed transport infrastructure. The country's ports provide a natural hub for shipping to and from Europe, the Americas and Asia-Pacific. The tourism industry ...
A representative of Edward Snowden, who exposed US surveillance programmes, has held informal talks with Icelandic officials to sound out the possibility of the country granting asylum to him, the prime minister has ...
In the epic battle between Singapore and Hong Kong to attract money flowing into Asia, Hong Kong is coming back. One telling sign: Hong Kong now has more millionaires than Singapore. According to ...
East-Asia-Intel.com The case of NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden has drawn the world's attention to the extent to which Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leadership can influence the decision of the authorities of the Hong Kong special administrative region ...
On the record
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Expectations were high for this top of the line Hyatt product in "The Big Easy". The taxi rolled up to ...Keep reading
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Hong Kong HeraldHong Kong Herald | Headlines Making the News in Hong Kong
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Hong Kong news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Hong Kong Herald is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Hong Kong.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Hong Kong weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Hong Kong Herald is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
After sending Taufik Hidayat into retirement, India's B. Sai Praneeth caused another big upset by defeating second seed Yun Hu of Hong Kong in the men's singles first round of the Singapore Open Super Series here Wednesday.
The 20-year-old Sai, ranked 61 in the world, thrashed World No.4 Hu 21-9, 21-10 in exactly half an hour at the Singapore Indoor Stadium to level his head-to-head to 1-all.
Women's singles second seed Saina Nehwal also advanced to the second round by beating localite Juan Gu 21-14, 23-21 in 40 minutes. This was the fifth time the Hyderabadi beat Juan out of six meetings. The World No.2 will next face Japanese Eriko Hirose in the second round.
In the mixed doubles, Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan beat Thai pair Songphon Anugritayawon and Kunchala Voravichitchaikul 21-17, 19-21, 21-12 in 45 minutes. Thugh Aparna won in mixed, it was disappointment for her in women's doubles losing, with partner N. Siki Reddy, to Malaysia's Meng Yean Lee and Yin Loo Lim 21-18, 18-21, 6-21 in 49 minutes.
Ace shuttler Ashwini Ponnappa with Pradnya Gadre was also beaten in women's doubles by Indonesia's Nitya Krishinda Maheswari and Greysia Polii 18-21, 23-21, 16-21 in 53 minutes.
Ashwini also her lost mixed doubles match partnership Tarun Kona. ...
- Facebook has never been stronger since IPO Sandberg says
- Stocks to watch at noon on Thursday
- Newcastle coal workers take strike action
- Forge in line for $US221m contract
- Govt nod for gas hub acquisition
- Women in Kolkata demand death penalty for rapists
- US women in all combat units by 2016 Pentagon
- Slip into slip dress for night out
- Exposure to high pollution levels during pregnancy may double risk of having autistic kids
- Regular use of talcum powder ups risk of ovarian cancer by 24pc
- Channel Nine wants greater say in Oz team selection despite CA stance
- ECB chief says Warner row brought CA England authorities closer together
- Smith to lead Australia A in Africa
- Dhonis men practice ahead of semi-final clash against Sri Lanka
- Australia A squad to add players from defeated Champions Trophy team
- Gold gains slightly before Bernankes remarks
- US dollar rises as Bernanke signals tapering later this year
- Wall Street slumps over 1 pct on Fed possible tapering later this year
- Hang Seng slumps 1.5pc
- Asia Markets Australia Korea lead Asian stock fall after Fed
- Russell Crowe to direct his first feature film
- Johnny Depp opens up about vision problem
- Liv Tyler to make TV debut
- Ranveer Singh and Sonakshi Sinha promote Lootera on Emotional Atyachaar 4 sets
- Mireille Enos career somersaults after reel kiss with Brad Pitt
- Calcium and vitamin D intake timing may affect how bone adapts to exercise
- Beliefs about causes of obesity could affect weight and eating behaviour
- Parenting and home environment can influence kids health
- Italys Prandelli Sweats Over Players Fitness
- Arthur buoyant on Clarke fitness
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Hong Kong Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Shuttler Sai Praneeth upsets second seed in Singapore
- Hong Kong’s best-kept secrets
- Hong Kong stocks down after Fed ahead of China data Hang Seng Index down 1.4
- Hang Seng slumps 1.5pc
- Hong Kong firm buys into London site