HONG KONG: Hong Kong’s de facto central bank said yesterday that its investigation into possible benchmark rate manipulation has been extended to include HSBC and a number of other banks. The Hong Kong Monetary Authority announced in December that it was investigating UBS about possible misconduct relating to its submissions for the Hong Kong Interbank Offered Rate. The move is the latest ...
Lon Snowden, the father of US intelligence whistleblower Edward Snowden, has urged his son to stop leaking, not to do anything treasonous and to return ...
Edward Snowden has emerged as a popular figure in Hong Kong, where he has been based since fleeing the U.S. (Kin Cheung/AP) HONG KONG -- It may still be early in Edward Snowden's attempt to find safe haven here, but a new poll and a weekend rally demanding that the local government protect Snowden indicate that the people and government of this semi-autonomous region of China may be taking ...
STOCKS ended flat yesterday in cautious trade as investors wait to see what the US Federal Reserve's plans are for its stimulus scheme. The benchmark Hang Seng Index edged down 0.02 point to 21,225.88. Mark To, head of research at Wing Fung Financial, said volumes had been thin as investors await the Fed policy committee's decision on QE. "Levels are neither very attractive nor ...
Cyberport HK is a 1 million square foot office, coworking space, incubator and hotel in Hong Kong. Hong Kong-based tech community, Cyberport HK, is not your average incubator and coworking space. For one thing, it's huge. With 1 million square feet of tech-centric office space located about 15 minutes from central Hong Kong, Cyberport is a boon to the 150+ companies that call it home and ...
28°C Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the NE at 4 MPH
The Wasp Woman [DVD]
The Giant Gila Monster may have been the perfect make-out movie. After all, as a low-budget, B-movie sci-fi/horror hybrid aimed directly at the insatiable teenage market, it played drive-ins in the late 1950s and early 1960s, yet it is so inept and boring that I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to watch it all the way through. So, even if stuck on a blind date about whom you're ... ...
View Photo AFP/AFP/File - A Chinese white dolphin swims in waters off the coast of Hong Kong on March 17, 2012. Conservationists Tuesday warned that the number of rare Chinese white dolphins in Hong Kong waters has ...
HKTDC Director of Research Nicholas Kwan (centre), Deputy Director of Research (Greater China) Pansy Yau (right) and Principal Economist (Global Research) Daniel Poon discussed the export outlook and offshore trade at today’s press ...
Secretary for Commerce & Economic Development Gregory So visited two Hong Kong design firms today to discuss promoting the wider use of design in industrial and business processes.He first stopped at a brand consultancy company at the InnoCentre in Kowloon Tong, which adopts a holistic approach to brand design covering brand development, corporate identity, interior design and visual ...
The Department of Health today urged people not to buy or consume Wei C Yin Qiao Pian, as it may contain dangerous drug ingredients.The Hospital Authority informed the department that a 41-year-old woman was sent to Princess Margaret Hospital in October with rhabdomyolysis and hypokalemia. Her blood potassium level was found to be low.She recently told her doctor she had consumed the ...
Police are appealing for information about a traffic accident in Tseung Kwan O today in which a 78-year-old woman died.She was struck by a rubbish truck that was entering a school on Mau Tai Road about 1.48pm.Sustaining serious injuries to her lower body, she was sent to Queen Elizabeth Hospital and later died.Witnesses should call Police on 2305 7575 or 2305 ...
On the record
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Grand Hyatt Dubai
I drove up to one of Dubai's newest luxury hotels, the Grand Hyatt Dubai, with it's towers majestically standing watch ...Keep reading
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Hong Kong HeraldHong Kong Herald | Headlines Making the News in Hong Kong
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Hong Kong news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Hong Kong Herald is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Hong Kong.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Hong Kong weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Hong Kong Herald is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Michigan Republican Rep. Mike Rogers said that China's role is questionable in light of Edward Snowden's leaking NSA secret intelligence and his subsequent fleeing to Hong Kong despite its extradition treaty with US.
Defending the NSA spy programme as an essential and life saving tool in the war on terrorism, Rogers said that Snowden is a traitor and not a hero, Washington Times reports.
Rogers further slammed Snowden and said that he grabbed up the information, made preparations to flee to China and bolted there.
White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough defended the snooping programme said that it is crucial to protect the American people and there is a need to strike right balance between privacy and security.
Former Vice President Dick Cheney said that Snowden has committed crimes and his choosing Hong Kong to escape the US extradition is suspicious as no one would choose the place if interested in freedom of speech.
According to the report, Hong Kong reverted to Chinese sovereignty in 1997 but has some features of statehood, including an extradition treaty with the U.S., a pact China itself doesn't have. But Beijing has the right to veto extraditions on national security and diplomatic grounds. ...
- Stocks to watch on Wednesday
- Commodities markets summary
- $A weakens as traders see US Fed pare back
- After Hours Adobe rises La-Z-Boy flat after hours
- Its Official PPR Becomes Kering Reportedly In Talks To Acquire Richard Mille
- Rudy accuses JD U of molesting BJP minority cell workers
- Women want younger men while dating online
- Way to prevent death of immature ovarian eggs from chemotherapy found
- Plastic bottle drinks may raise cancer risk in womb
- Skipping breakfast may up diabetes risk in obese women
- PRECIOUS-Gold down more than 1 pct on Fed jitters equities gain
- Toshiba to cut TV business costs by $104 million this fiscal year - Nikkei
- China EU to meet over trade dispute
- FDI edges up 0.29 in May
- Coal imports down in May
- Kate Middleton voted top fashion icon
- Britney Spears kids to star in new music video
- Have Helen Flanagan and Scott Sinclair split again
- George Clooney in touch with ex-girlfriend
- Pattinson seeking solace plans holiday with family
- Couples who have premarital sex to be considered married Madras High Court
- Fast and curious Vancouver Island driver caught going 221 kmh loses car
- Naked gymnast faces charges over San Francisco transit stop antics
- Gravestone of late Mayor Koch had birth date wrong
- Rep. Nadler Post-Five Month Abortion Ban ‘Morally Outrageous’
- Henry Cavill reveals secrets to getting Superman shape
- Urgent action alert EPA about to raise allowable concentrations of glyphosate on food crops edible oils and animal feed - comments needed by July 1
- Independence looks to expand fitness options after closing of the YMCA
- ‘Emergency’ crew response on UBC campus Tuesday is a mock training exercise RCMP
- UN calls on Brazilian authorities to exercise restraint as protests flare
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Hong Kong Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- HK probes HSBC over rate rigging
- Edward Snowdens father tells him to stop leaking
- Hong Kong Welcomes Edward Snowden to the Neighborhood
- Hong Kong Flat in cautious trade
- A Government Building A Tech Scene Hong Kongs Cyberport